Saddest...wow.  I have to go with my favorite, All The King's Men.  Not
because the antihero dies but because the narrator has been complicit in
the destruction of many lives--including his best friend's and his
present wife's--and has escaped to tell thee.  "It all could have been
different."  No it couldn't because people have the cat-gene--putting a
paw into a flame is irresistible.  I believe Murray Krieger (anyone
remember stodgy old Murray?) listed it in his Tragic Vision, and I don't
think he missed the target.  There's an inevitability that is powered by
human will and ambition in that novel.

I used to read it once a year.  After many years I reread it this summer
and found it better than I remembered.

ken

--
Ken Wolman			    rainermaria.typepad.com

"It takes a big man to cry.  It takes a really big man to
laugh at that man."