Candles on cakes has a religious origin:

http://www.tokenz.com/birthday-candles.html
http://www.history1700s.com/store/birthday-cakes.shtml

and it's pagan as well, so double plus goodness:

"Birthday Candle's History
The use of the birthday candles on the top of the birthday cake dates
back to the period of the early Greeks who were in the habit of
placing these birthday candles on the top of the cake offered by them
to Artemis - the Goddess of Moon. They had a notion that because of
the lit candles on the round cake, it used to glow like the moon.
According to their practice, a big candle was placed in the middle of
the cake, which used to represent the 'light of life'. According to
another notion, people placed candles on the top of the birthday cakes
because they believed that there were Gods in the sky who would get
your prayers with the help of the burning birthday candles. "

Although how much weight you place on these sources ...

Roger

--
My Stuff: http://www.badstep.net/
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde