I grow oregano, thyme, and rosemary in window boxes year round, and
basil this time of year. The other kind takes too much space.

The reason for my irrigation question is that in the US desert good
sense about water is hard to find. In the Arizona desert fields and
nut orchards are regularly flooded, for days on end, to a depth of
several inches. They steam in the sun, much of the water evaporating.
The crops themselves are often wildly inappropriate to the desert.
The silliest is icebreg lettuce, essentially water held in place by a
green membrane: most of the US crop is produced outside Yuma, the
driest and hottest place in the country. All that water comes from
the Colorado River, which no longer flows to the sea, its
once-productive delta a salt desert, and the Sea of Cortez, a
bountiful fishing-ground, is gradually dying from the change in salinity.

Behind this incredible waste is subsidized water from
ecologically-flawed water-management systems. Farmers pay much less
for water than city-dwellers, which means there's little incentive to
use it economically.

A couple of years ago there was a major drought of several years'
duration in the Klamath River basin of California and Oregon. The
Klamath was the most productive of our salmon rivers until it was
dammed for desert farming. The flow was regulated to allow for the
survival of some of the salmon, which are the basis of a fishing
industry and also the major protein source for the local Indian
tribes (and central to their culture), which are guaranteed the
resource by treaty. Came the drought and the bodies of hundreds of
thousands of salmon clogged the river. So the flow was increased, and
the farms withered. Then came the political backlash--there are a lot
more farmer votes than Indian votes, and treaties be damned. There
seesm to be no solution except the obvious one--remove the dams and
do arid land farming. But that won't happen.

Mark