Vicki,

We have been using the Turnitin tool inside our institutional VLE
(Blackboard) for a few years at the University of Liverpool. We have
from the beginning introduced the tool within our learning and teaching
staff development programmes with a focus on 'designing out plagiarism'
in order that staff consider the full implications of using the service.
Uptake for using the tool has been slow, but I think this reflects on
the deeper issues associated with student plagiarism rather than the
effectiveness of the tool - staff are realising quickly that a tool that
just 'catches' students plagiarising is not an efficient process - one
member of staff estimated that he has around 10% of his student
plagiarising at only one time, which equals 30 students, and it takes
him approximately 1.5 hours to deal with each case through the
University's procedures i.e. a week's work. We also tend to get younger
staff on our learning and teaching workshops who are not necessarily in
a position to influence changes to modules and programmes.

Staff willingness to move to electronic means of coursework submission
is a related issue. It can take a while for a department to consider and
adopt this over traditional paper submissions - some departments have
adopted a dual system but this is problematic for students and staff to
manage. The Turnitin building block tool in Blackboard does not offer
all the functionality of the main 'assignment' tool such as ability to
give feedback etc. so we find staff are using the this tool to manage
coursework submissions, and then passing it through the Turnitin tool
themselves to check for plagiarism.

The slow uptake of the tool has caused tension with our computing
services colleagues. They generally evaluate the effectiveness of
software by how much it is being used and not on its impact on reducing
plagiarism. Our approach is to support staff to create a better student
support and resources about plagiarism, transition to Higher Education,
alternative assessment methods that make it harder to plagiarise etc.
Our ultimate objective would be for the tool to used in limited and
measured way.

In hind sight I think this tool needs careful planning and discussion to
create a well thought out implementation plan that is part of a
coordinated policy to address the plagiarism issues that consults staff
developers, learning technologists, computing services, student
registration etc. There has not been a 'natural' person within any
central service department that can coordinate and fully understand all
the related issues - student registration issues, data protection issues
of the Turnitin service, development of technical software guides, VLE
support, learning and teaching case studies etc. These all need to be
coordinated well as staff get frustrated when they have to go to
multiple staff in multiple central services departments to get all the
information they need!

We have not reached any consensus as to whether it is ethical to tell
students exactly how the tool works or to keep it mysterious and
therefore a better deterrent. Some staff are very concentred that by
over using the tool we are creating an environment of mistrust with
students. Other staff see the tool as a way of supporting students that
legitimately complete assignments against their peers that have
plagiarised.

Overall the key impact of implementing Turnitin has been to get staff
thinking more about the pedagogical issues of plagiarism - the tool is
attractive to staff  as, on the surface, it offers a quick solution to
plagiarism!

Nick Bunyan
Learning Technologist
Educational Development Division