Hello - just joined the group and am seeking some views...

The University of Surrey have recently subscribed to the Turnitin
detection service, and as Head of E-Learning, we are about to look at
integrating its use with our VLE.  However, my gut feeling is that I am
uncomfortable promoting Turnitin without setting it in context - the
danger being that people latch onto it, and don't consider other
approaches such as student workshops to educate about plagiarism,
support for staff to design out plagriarsim etc.  I also wonder if using
Turnitin may have knock-on effects that we need to consider e.g. Schools
making students aware its being used.

This makes me feel that addressing plagiarism probably doesn't sit in
the domain of one group within the University but is a responsibility
shared by several: ourselves (e-learning), Registry, student support,
academic development to name a few.

I'd be very interested to hear from other Universities who may be
further down the line.  Who is involved in this area at your university?
What central support activities do you have in place, both for staff and
for students?  Is the support educationally-focused or
technical/hands-on or both?

Thanks
Vicki

Vicki Simpson