Terry,

That may be an Australian vs American language thing. The Oxford American Dictionary defines constituency as:

a body of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body : the politician who wishes to remain in the good graces of his constituency.
• chiefly Brit. the area represented in this way.
• a body of customers or supporters : a constituency of racing fans.

In American English the individual is a constituent.

As to legitimacy, I'm not naive enough to have missed out on the fact that people's claims on design or design process are not always a direct correlation with what I would assign as their legitimate interests. My point was that a general term that did not imply illegitimacy was preferable. The powerful will assert their claims despite any possibly-dismissive term so it is only the less powerful who end up disenfranchised by a term that casts any doubt.

Gunnar
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1910 East 6th Street
Greenville, North Carolina 27858
USA

+1 252 258 7006

http://www.gunnarswanson.com

at East Carolina University:
+1 252 328 2839

Terence Love sent: Wed 4/18/2007 11:26 PM