From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jerry Diethelm
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Defining Design (Re: Evidence and ethics)

Dear Terry,

In my experience, information must be chosen because no one can ever really afford to just gather.  One tries to distinguish between useful and relevant kinds of information related to the effort at hand.

And so information is "gathered" purposefully toward some end and where possible in a form related to the nature and scale of the questions driving the process.  Call it wisely selected, chosen, or whatever, it is an inescapably judgmental, modeling and sorting process.

Putting evaluation in a box at the far end of things is for me to miss the central role that evaluation plays in all phases of designing.

Best,

Jerry