-----Original Message-----
From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related
research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris
Rust
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interests - Legitimacy - Research

Klaus Krippendorff wrote:
> regarding ecological advocacy groups.  i think most designers are now
> aware that this is a stakeholder group one doesn't want to have as an
> opponent,

But such a group may not be a very USEFUL stakeholder for a designer.
Arguably they represent the tame end of the problem - "we need less of this
or more of that". That's a useful starting point but it doesn't take you
very far towards an effective new design.

Valid stakeholders might be those who would lose or gain practically from
changes, those who would have to adapt their behaviour, those who need to
adapt their thinking. One of my personal (not professional) interests is the
development of urban cycling - it's a very complex arena involving the law,
road engineering, urban planning, every kind of road user, public transport
operators, employers etc etc. Comparing countries where urban cycling is
normal (eg Japan, Netherlands,
Switzerland) with those where it is emerging and those where it is hardly
possible reveals a rich stew of contradictory ideas and behaviours.

Almost all the important stakeholders are those who are doing things or
might do things in future - advocacy groups don't really count but action
groups can. I used to be a member of a city cycle campaign group in the
1980s and we realised we were achieving very little by making a fuss - so we
started organising fun cycling activities instead and that started to get
real people moving in our direction because they were riding their bikes
more. We also became stakeholders because we were on the streets (and the
country lanes around the city) acting and learning rather than advocating.

best  wishes from Sheffield
Chris

Professor Chris Rust
Chair of Design Research Society Council Head of Art and Design Research
Centre Sheffield Hallam University Psalter Lane, Sheffield S11 8UZ, UK
[log in to unmask] www.chrisrust.net