Dear Victor,

Good question.

The question is that of wisdom or phronesis, what is good or right to do.

It seems to me that there is no positive reason that people avoid
this inquiry, but rather that there is so much to consider in filling
in evident gaps in the field.

I see useful questions of phronesis and ethics in some work. I
observe that list conversations float around puzzles and problems
that people find most fascinating.

I've puzzled over this myself, from time to time. One challenge in
this kind of research is the entire range of inquiry distinguishing
facts from values or -- as a possible alternate -- linking them.
Ethics are normative. If we are to look deeper than the assertion of
belief, addressing the problems of the ethical require deep,
systematic inquiry.

Perhaps the time has come for that inquiry. As with any kind of
research, it requires someone with the interest, time, and passion to
pursue it. That may also answer your question in part, as many of the
people I observe doing serious research are struggling to answer
questions they have worked with for years.

There is also the problem of approach. So far, much of the writing I
have seen on design ethics has been dense stuff, not always easy to
read, and not always as intelligent as the writers imagine. I am not
going to throw a match onto that haystack, so I won't criticize
anyone. I'll simply say that some of the stuff I've seen is not
especially readable. This does not encourage a wide conversation.

There are nevertheless people doing good work on this, writing
beautiful prose, and putting good ideas forward. Ezio Manzini is a
case in point. Others approach the ethics of designed artifacts and
their socio-cultural effects in a playful, provocative way. Anthony
Dunne's work comes to mind. There's been good work on this in the
close-by field of technology studies -- Patrice Flichy's work, for
example, and his useful point that every technology is a social
technology.

One way to advance this conversation would be to bring forward some
of the good work that has been done. Just a thought.

Warm wishes,

Ken

Victor Margolin wrote:

"Why don't researchers want to focus more on the world of design
products, what it is and what it could be. We talk about cognition,
emotion, form etc. but not enough about what makes a product good for
the user or for the culture."