Dear Lauchlan,

Yes, this is a case of design as I see it. There are many kinds of
design, and this is one of them. This involves a simple and -- most
likely -- a tame problem. To distinguish whether the simple problem
is indeed tame would require a specific case. Whether the designer
has done many business cards before would not necessarily make this a
tame problem. If the business card is designed to the specifications
of a corporate design manual, THAT would make it a tame problem.
Despiute this fact, the graphic designer designing a business card
is, indeed, practicing design.

Again, I define design as "a goal-oriented process for solving
problems, meeting needs, improving situations, or creating something
new or useful."

This example meets that definition.

The fact that you use the term "designing" in your question suggests
you agree with me, at least in ordinary language. Most graphic
designers would also assert that this is an example of design
practice.

To pose the question back, how could designing a business card to the
standards of a corporate design manual NOT be design? If it is not an
example of design practice, what is it?

Yours,

Ken

Lauchlan Mackinnon wrote:

In your view, can you do 'design' for tame problems, or only wicked ones?

e.g. if a graphic designer is designing a business card and the
problem is 'tame' (they've done it before and they know what to do)
then is it 'design' in your view?