on 10/4/07 2:19 pm, Glenn Raybone at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi Clare
>
> there's lots of different possibilities here that I can see. You could do a
> nurse prescribing course, and then prescribe yourself. You'd have to weigh
> up whether this is going to be of real benefit regarding time and cost and
> whether you'd really use the qualification (which I understand is a very
> intensive course).
>
> You can refer to a GP, but they may not actually give the vaccinations, in
> accordance with BMA guidance. I've had someone in this morning whose GP has
> refused to give a "work related vaccination". Those that do often charge.
>
> Almost certainly you will also need to look into PGD's. Perhaps you could
> link up with a local NHS provider? this may be the simplest and cheapest
> option.
>
> Best of luck with it
>
> regards
>
> Glenn

A word of caution re the nurse prescribing course. Ensure that the course
selected confers eligibility to prescribe from the whole of the BNF. At LSBU
the non-medical prescribing course aimed at nursess, pharmacists,
radiographers and the like covers far more than the course for public health
nurses (see below*). The "Non-medical Prescribing" course qualifies the
practitioner to prescribe from the whole BNF. Practitioners registered on
that unit, I believe, also have to have access to a prescribing mentor. I do
not know any more details than that.

*The unit linked with the SCPHN course is mandatory for HVs but not for the
OHN pathway- I recommended that we did not make that unit obligatory  for
OHNs as it only covers medications which are prescribed by HVs- nits and
bowels come to mind. (That unit is an NMC requirement for HVs I gather.) The
practitioner who had completed that unit would not be able to prescribe
immunisations nor travel health medication which are more relevent to OHN
practice.

Anne Harriss
Course Director Occupational Health Courses
London South Bank University