Diane,

Am sure I am teaching Gran to suck eggs, but have you checked for HAVS also??

Lynda
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Diane Romano-Woodward
Sent: 18 April 2007 06:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] mechanised gardening tools

Hello list
I am working at an establishment which has extensive grounds and employees gardeners. I know of at least 2 who have WRULDS, one has been off work for some time. This seems to relate to pruning, leaf collecting, litter picking etc and leads to tendonitis of the wrist and hand.
I have given management the appropriate advice regarding ergonomic tools and also automation, as if there are 2 known case then there are probably more (if they were asked) and I am trying to be proactive in preventing further cases.
However the response has been less than enthusiastic and I wondered if anyone knew of equipment which could be explored. Being a keen gardener myself I checked out the FELCO website which has secateurs and pruners. I have seen those with a rolling handle- the lower handle rolls as the cut is made to spread load over a larger area rather that the same soft tissues being used all the time. There also have pruners run off compressors so less force is needed.
Re leaf collector in large areas, they use blowers but it seems in smaller areas or soft ground they use manual pickers that have the same motion as hedge trimming shears..
Has anyone else got any bright ideas?
Is there a professional gardeners' association which might be able to give advice?
All the best
Diane

With Live Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.

ARCHIVES http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING COURSES http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in6232/aohne/