Hi all,

I do not see Geert's statement, as a crisis. More of a change of
circumstance offering us all various choices, as in what directions
should we choose to go, what is considered appropriate in respect of our
positions at present. To choose one direction, would surely limit the
influence that we wish to have on culture generally. We no longer in
exist mono-cultural societies, many may do mentally but how we relate to
each other regarding uses of technology, patterns of communications
influences what we do and how.

I feel that we have the opportunity to exploit all branches, collaborate
with institutions, galleries, traditional media of distribution such as
magazines and newspapers, fine art venues, with festivals and exhibitons
- yet at the same time create a more focused identity that relates
specifically to media reflecting upon its practice so to maintain a
strong, critical enquiry challenging media art discipline, as it becomes
more entwined in other forms of creative endevours.

The other thing which needs to be dealt with here, is to create stronger
links betwen ourselves so that we do not get watered down. If we do
this, I feel that media art and its various, related genres and ideas
will remain strong and able to deal with the changes that are no doubt
about to happen, as new audiences, artists, writers and institutions
begin to undertake and move into the culture that many of us have been
part of for a while now...

marc

http://www.furtherfield.org
http://www.http.uk.net/