A post-doctoral position is available immediately in the laboratory of
Professor Alec Wodtke to study  the Chemical Interactions of
vibrationally excited molecules with metal surfaces

We are using stimulated emission pumping and overtone pumping to prepare
single quantum states of highly vibrationally excited molecules. The
excited molecules are carried in a molecular beam through a UHV chamber
to a well-characterized surface and we observe scattering, electron
emission and surface sticking. Two recent publications give a good idea
of recent directions of research:

1.    Conversion of large amplitude vibration to electron excitation at
a metal surface, J. White, J. Chen, D. Matsiev, D.J. Auerbach and A.M.
Wodtke, Nature 433(7025),503-505, (2005).

2.    Vibrationally-promoted electron emission from low work function
metal surfaces, Jason D. White, Jun Chen, Daniel Matsiev, Daniel J.
Auerbach, Alec M. Wodtke. J. Chem. Phys. 124(6): Art. No. 064702 (2006)

The project is an ongoing collaboration between Alec Wodtke and Daniel
Auerbach. It is well funded with an excellent array of equipment
dedicated to the project:  presently, three injection seeded Yag-pumped
dye laser systems with non-linear optics and a molecular beam surface
scattering apparatus. We seek a person who likes high-tech experimental
physical chemistry, has experience with laser spectroscopy and/or high
vacuum equipment. The successful candidate must be independent and
self-motivated. We believe this is an excellent opportunity for an
ambitious individual to advance his or her career in basic research.

Interested individuals should send an electronic resume including at
least two references to: Alec M. Wodtke, [log in to unmask] AND Daniel
J. Auerbach, [log in to unmask]

--
Prof. Alec M. Wodtke -
Chair -- Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  - www.chem.ucsb.edu

Mail Code 9510
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9510
USA

+001 (805) 893 2056 (voice - Chair's Office)
+001 (805) 893 8085 (voice - Laboratory Office)
+001 (805) 893 4120 (fax)
+001 (805) 893 7653 (confidential fax)

www.chem.ucsb.edu/~wodtke/groupwebpage

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html