Hi All

 Apologies for cross posting.  Published today, please feel free to forward
to people you think might be interested.

Ruth

AEN Journal

Information Technology and Ethnic Communities

Volume 2, Issue 1-April 2007

Edited by Andy Williamson and Ruth DeSouza

http://journal.aen.org.nz <http://journal.aen.org.nz/>

This issue of AENJ is about potential. It's about the way the internet and
mobile telecommunications are changing the way our society thinks, links and
functions.

Access to the information and communication channels available through these
networks puts us in a new space, where New Zealand's tyranny of distance is
both diminished and amplified. The internet makes globalisation a reality
but it magnifies the local and it has enormous potential to connect and
support communities, particularly those who are otherwise disadvantaged.

In this issue, we've attempted to present a range of perspectives that show
the potential for how ICTs can be harnessed by different communities-whether
they are communities of place, interest, faith or ethnicity.

We hope that this will energise and inspire, helping ethnic communities
generate new collective ideas about the value, function and potential of
ICTs. Our hope is that the writing in this issue will inspire and educate,
demonstrate some good ideas and help some of us to make fewer mistakes.
Above all, we hope it will motivate ethnic communities in Aotearoa to
recognise the value of ICTs and seize every opportunity to adopt and use
them effectively.

The AEN Journal is an open access online journal, available free at
http://journal.aen.org.nz <http://journal.aen.org.nz/>

Contents:

Editorial: Harnessing ICTs for ethnic community development

Andy Williamson and Ruth DeSouza

Waka rorohiko

Robert Sullivan

Growing, sustaining and retaining skills in the ICT sector in New Zealand

David Cunliffe MP

Reflections on Enabling the Millennium Development Goals in Puerto Rico:
Representations and Realities

Sarai Lastra

Tangata Whenua, the Treaty and the New Zealand Digital Strategy

Robyn Kamira

Asymmetrical Warfare: Having a biffo with the mainstream media

Keith Ng

Community as an icon

Gilson Schwartz

Images: ICT working at the grassroots

Whangarei's one double-five Community House

Increasing the uptake of ICT amongst Pacific Island Early Childhood
Education Centres in Manukau City

Kate Sutton

The promise of information technology?

Richard Pamatatau

Living Cultural Storybases: Self-empowering narratives for minority cultures

Laura Packer, Paul Rankin and Robin Hansteen-Izora

Some tentative thoughts on diaspora and the emergence of voice and video
over the internet

Andrew Clark

http://journal.aen.org.nz <http://journal.aen.org.nz/>