Hi Mona
This report I wrote might be of interest. I emailed it to the list last year
but you can find it on the NZ Families Commision website see below).
I am hoping to present at City University on June 14th when I visit the UK.
Ruth

Migrant women who become new mothers in New Zealand say their cultural needs
are often not met or understood by health professionals.

The report New Spaces and Possibilities: the Adjustment to Parenthood for
New Migrant Mothers was funded by the Families Commission Blue Skies Fund.
The researchers interviewed 40 Chinese, Korean, South African, British,
American, Indian, Palestinian and Iraqi women about their experience of
pregnancy and birth in New Zealand.

Report author Ruth DeSouza of AUT University's Centre for Asian and Migrant
Health Research has made a range of recommendations as a result of the
study. These include making improvements to support services and
communication, providing translations of relevant information, and more
training in understanding cultural needs.

"Many of these women felt that they had poor communication with health
professionals and that their need for support and information was not always
met," she says.

"There was also sometimes a lack of understanding about their cultural needs
&endash; for instance some Muslim women were concerned that male staff would
come into the hospital room without warning, not allowing them time to put
on their hijab. For Korean women there was sometimes an issue about not
being able to keep warm and eat only warm food after birth as is their
custom."

Some women also felt pressured by the emphasis on breastfeeding and said
that not enough advice and support was provided, nor was there enough
information provided about formula feeding. Introducing babies to solid food
was another issue with some women saying that no information was provided
relating to ethnic food.

"Iron deficiency, for example," said one Korean woman. "We don't know what
to feed our babies for this."

The women said they often felt isolated and alone and badly missed the
support of family and friends. But some also said they felt much more
empowered and self-sufficient because they had to actively seek out the
information and support that they needed. Some also said their partners
became more involved in the pregnancy than would have happened in their home
country.

Ruth De Souza says she suspects that some of the issues involving health
professionals are common to all mothers - such as spending a long time in
doctors' waiting rooms, having to keep repeating their health information
and being given too much or too little information to help with
decision-making.

Download report (PDF 248 KB)

To request a printed copy, please email [log in to unmask]