Hi, my name is Jacqueline Vejlstrup and I am new to the list

I'm working on my bachelor's project, in which I am investigating the slow implementation of currently available knowledge of the care of second stage labor.

Many midwives still use instructive pushing technique, despite mounting evidence against this technique's benefits.

The aim of my study is not to add to the already expansivie body of knowledge of physiological sequelae, such as low cord pH, damage to perineal structure, etc, etc, but rather to focus on the impact of instructed pushing on the woman's birth experience. The psychological implications of being instructed to push out of sync with her own physiological urge.

The apparent disempowering of the woman at the receiving end of instructive care and the involuntary disregard from us as staff for her own innate birthing ability interest me, and I hope to find some advice on choice of litterature, in particular birth narratives detailing this aspect of birth. If you have any suggestions on litterature I would be very grateful. Any recommendations to interesting theoretical perspectives are also welcome.

Kind Regards
Jacqueline Vejlstrup
Student of Midwifery at
Copenhagen School of Midwifery