I sense a pattern from those who have contacted me off-list - they are part of a consortia deal, we are not.  Can an institution not in a consortia deal check and see if they are being asked for individual registrations?  And maybe BMJ could let us know if there is a policy they have introduced for those with individual journal subscriptions only?  I have tried Gut and Journal of neurology, neurosurgery and psychiatry so far and anything before 2006 is asking for us to register.

Thanks
Louise

-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by the UK Serials Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lesley Crawshaw
Sent: 03 April 2007 16:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT NOTICE - BMJ JOURNAL ARCHIVE ACCESS CHANGES

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out Louise.

I had spotted that one of the backfiles was now fully online when we were working yesterday with this publisher's journals on Serials Solutions. Contrary to what the Serials Solutions knowledgebase said we noticed that the Journal of Clinical Pathology had all the issues online and that we could access the full text of articles in the very first issue. I did email our contact at BMJ Publishing to ask if we had rights to access the full archive of this journal and then the announcement appeared on various lists. I have to admit I hadn't fully read the announcement and didn't see the information on registration.

I have to say I more than confused as to why I can access BMJ Publishing Journals that are more than a year old without the need for a username and password. I've managed to get into the very first article of Journal of Clinical Pathology without any request to register. Is this because we are part of the UK NESLi2 deal for BMJ Publishing journals?

I certainly think it's a very bad idea if institutions whose IPs are already registered should have their users required to register separately. I understand that the idea behind registration is that the publisher can see who is using the archive. Surely since the publisher already has a good idea who is using their journals via institutional IP (or ATHENS) authentication, then these users should be excluded from this registration? I wouldn't have thought this would be a difficult process to implement?

I would certainly urge the publisher to reconsider this policy in relation to institutional users. I am not aware of any other publisher that has gone down the route of requiring users to register in order to access open access material. It isn't something we would want to encourage either.

Finally, I just wanted to congratulate the publisher for making these archives free to all. I think that although it has had to give up the possibility of all that extra dosh that comes from selling archives, the increased usage that will come as a result of these open access archives will more than make up for it. It also continues the spirit of those many Highwire societies/publishers (and many others) who have also chosen to make their archives free to all. It's just a real pity that the positive aspects of this announcement have been tainted by the issue of registration.

Cheers
Lesley