Andy,

you don't need to join the UK federation. The gateway is separate from
that. All you need is eduPersonTargetedId and userRole (if you use Athens
permission sets).

You also have to give them a test account on your IdP.

I've attached a doc describing how to access My Athens via Shibboleth. I
prepared it for our Athens Shibboleth Gateway pilot.

The other way of accessing Athens resources is via their individual
gateway URLs. These are not user friendly! so we're setting up an
intermediary service to simplify librarians linking directly to Athens
resources.

In time though, the resources behind the gateway are meant to migrate to
the UK federation.

hope this helps,

Alistair

--