Dear Colleagues,

Truly, I was gratified by the number of you (14) who responded to my query
about Maps and Boundary Disputes in the 20th Century. No single member is versed
in literature for all the disciplines represented by the members of the
Int-Boundaries List, so your generous help is one of the great strengths in our
correspondence.  I wish I could send each of you a thank you, but being pressed
for time, allow me to broadcast my thanks to Anton, Barbara, Brendan, Brian,
Buddhi, Charles, Chris, Cindy, Damien, Dane, Martin, Nasrin, Nuno, and Robin.
Several of the suggestions were very fruitful.  A couple of you requested
copies of the essay on which I am working.  I wish I could accommodate you, but the
essay has been commissioned by the University of Chicago Press for inclusion
in volume 6 of the History of Cartography publication.  Therefore, it is a
work for hire, and I am not at liberty to share it.

Although many of us are focused on Shatt al-Arab issue and the British
sailors and marines who have been detained by the Iranian government, and hope for
their speedy and safe return, there are other boundary items in the news.

According to Reuters, on 27 March 2007 Latvia and Russia signed an agreement
delimiting their boundary.

Argentina reportedly abrogated its 1995 Joint Declaration with the United
Kingdom on 26 March, according to Associated Press (30 March).  The agreement had
established a joint development zone near the Falklands/Malvinas Islands for
oil and gas exploration.

According to Associated Press (26 March), Indonesia recently detained barges
bringing construction materials (granite) to Singapore and has prohibited the
export of sand to the island state.  The Indonesian Fisheries and Maritime
Affairs Minister stated that his government would not resume sand exports until
Singapore settles border disputes with Indonesia.

The global warming affecting the Arctic has prompted several commentaries
about territorial (Hans Island) and maritime disputes in the area.  See, for
example, Doug Mellgren, "Riches Await as Earth's Icy North Melts," Associated
Press, 25 March 2007.

Regards and thanks, again,
Dan Dzurek