From: GP-UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Russell Brown
Sent: 02 April 2007 13:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Patients taken ill abroad

Not necessarily a slick way, but I just say no.  As far as I am concerned, the company has the duty of care to the patient at that point in time, not me, as the patient is outside of my practice area.  Nor do i have a duty of care to the company unless I agree to provide said report.  Nor do I accept that the patient will be responsible for any fee for any report I may produce, as they are not there to ask.

I don't consider the consent forms these companies send to me to be properly informed consent.  After all, the patient is usually unwell and just wants things sorted.  Neither am I in a position to ascertain whether the patient understands the implications of me providing any requested information, as they are abroad and I can't speak to them.

Insurance company's fault and problem, not mine or my patients (unless of course they have been dishonest).

On 02/04/07, Dr Adrian Midgley (In the office) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Saul Galloway wrote:
> Another of these requests today as we warm up to the holiday season. I saw
> the earlier thread but didn't see if anyone had a slick method for declining
> to do them.
>
> Patient gets told that without report from their GP they "Europ Assist" in
> this case cannot process their claim.

They need a solicitor, don't they?