Surround sound is best done with a separate AV receiver / amplifier (AVR).  So, you plug the digital out from your DVD player into the receiver and it does all the processing and amplification.  You can plug all the outputs from devices such as DVDs, set top boxes, PVRs into the AVR and let it do all the switching and processing for them.

Or...you can just get a DVD with 5.1 speakers out and plug it into speakers directly..but a good AVR is an investment (or that's what I told my wife..) and makes things much easier.

I would get a PVR though, nowadays, rather than a DVD recorder.  If you get one with USB out you can always take onto a PC any mpegs you want to keep and burn them separately (or just store them on another media player - I fancy that new Archos one ;),..)  Optical media is in its last iteration I think...

The market changes very quickly, so not sure which to recommend at present.  Home Cinema Choice and What TV / Video (or whatever it is called nowadays) are good magazines to research from.