We put cancellation terms on our confirmation letters too (kicking in
with two week's or less notice of cancellation) but in reality what
happens is that schools cancel just before two weeks and then we
can't fill the slots.  Also, I have never been able to collect any
cancellation fees because schools haven't actually collected the
monies for the outing and therefore don't have the cash (although
once a teacher made a personal donation of £100 because he was so
embarrassed!).  It's a tricky one because the reasons for
cancellation are often beyond the booking teacher's control and you
don't want to alienate a school that visits every year for example.

On the subject of refunds - we are also finding that schools might
book for a certain number and then only bring maybe half that
number.    This means that we get volunteers in unnecessarily and
also sometimes turn down other schools unnecessarily. One colleague
at another venue charges upfront for the number booked and then says
the "credit" caused by lower numbers can be redeemed on their next
visit.

Liz Simmons
Education Officer Rochester Cathedral