Hello All,

I need a clarification on the whether FSL gives us the data in MNI or Talairach space.  I ask because I was looking at my old data and I noticed the cluster files named

cluster_zstat1_tal.txt

However I recently reran the analysis (with newer version of FSL) and now the files are named

cluster_zstat1_std.txt

So what is the difference between the two? Was the old cluster_zstat1_tal.txt
really Talairach space or really MNI?   And what is the new cluster_zstat1_std.txt
giving us?

I ask because some may tend to just plug in the x(mm) y(mm) z(mm) into canned talaraich programs and assume that what they are getting is the absolute truth  (by the way I’m very aware of the discussions about this in the past threads).  And if all along they thought that the coordinates were talairach then their data have that extra error in it.
Especially, when subtle differences (bw MNI & TAL) in the coordinates can give very different anatomical labels for those using these programs.

Currently,  the coordinates are labeled Z-MAX X(mm) Z-MAX Y(mm) Z-MAX Z(mm) when in the past it was x(mm) y(mm) z(mm), so I’m assuming something else has changed along with the new FSL version.

I understand that there is nothing like old fashioned brain atlases but many, me included, like to use TD to get a starting point and an overall picture of what may be happening before picking up the atlas.  At least I’ll do this, until I feel comfortable with the anatomy enough to just eye it and say, for instance, this is the lingual gyrus.  Actually, this may no longer be an excuse because of the higher resolution images available as templates.

Thanks

Nasser

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.