Dear group,

After some discussion with our Biomedical Engineer, I have a couple of
concerns/questions for which I would greatly appreciate additional
input:

1) People often collect DTI scans at bvalue=1000, however, our
biomedical engineer suggested that although this is common, such a
bvalue may have undergone such extensive signal decay that noise would
significantly affect in the output images.
We are now considering bvalues of 850 or 900...Could anyone comment on
this issue?
What problems, if any, might arise from these slightly lower b-values?
 Is there some standard way to evaluate whether noise has become an
intolerable factor in the images?

2) I understand that upscanning is problematic.  Certainly it is clear
that you end up interpolating values for no reason and then you have
larger datasets to manipulate...
Are there other problems with upscanning than these?  I know it was
supposed to be covered at some point in the archives, but I have never
found a discussion of that issue.

Thankyou so much for your time.  I am looking forward to playing with
my first set of pilot data.

-Dianne

--
Dianne Patterson, Ph.D.