Hi

you just run flirt with the -applyxfm -init  options:

flirt -in in.img.nii.gz -ref ref.nii.gz -out out.nii.gz -applyxfm -
init halfway_forward.mat

That should do the trick
cheers
christian

On 4 Apr 2007, at 11:22, Oliver Singer wrote:

> Dear Mark,
> thanks for your help concerning the realignment of the FA-maps
> using the half-transformation matrices. Seems the best option to me.
> However, I have some "technical" questions concerning the way to do
> this:
> I ran FLIRT on the two FA-images. Using avscale I get the matrices
> for forward and backward half transform as follows:
>
> Forward half transform =
> 0.999691 -0.024777 -0.002129 4.972743
> 0.024866 0.997103 0.071886 0.730804
> 0.000342 -0.071916 0.997410 3.274879
> 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
>
> Backward half transform =
> 0.999691 0.024866 0.000342 -4.990497
> -0.024777 0.997103 -0.071916 -0.369960
> -0.002129 0.071885 0.997411 -3.308346
> 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
>
> My question now is how to apply these matrices to receive the
> halfway-FA-images? Is it using the convert_xfm option or the
> img2imgcoord option?
> Sorry for this probably basic question.....
> Yours Oliver
>

> Mark Jenkinson schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are other interpolation schemes such as nearest neighbour
>> or sinc, but they each have some disadvantages too, and will
>> make one image qualitatively different from the other.  The
>> smoothing is inherent in trilinear interpolation, some rather
>> ugly discontinuities occur with nearest neighbour and some
>> ringing and/or variable smoothing can occur with sinc.
>>
>> An alternative is to transform both images to a half-way
>> point, this equalising the interpolation effects.  This is
>> what is done in SIENA, and you can do the same by extracting
>> the forward and backward half-transformation matrices from
>> the output of "avscale" as run on your original transformation
>> matrices.
>>
>> That's what I would recommend.
>>
>> All the best,
>>     Mark
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> You can change the interpolation scheme to nearest neighbour.
>>> (Advanced options in the gui)
>>>
>>> Saad.

>>> ----
>>>  ---
>>> Saad Jbabdi,
>>> Postdoctoral Research Assistant,
>>> Oxford University FMRIB Centre
>>>
>>> FMRIB, JR Hospital, Headington, Oxford  OX3 9DU, UK
>>> +44 (0) 1865 222545  (fax 222717)
>>> [log in to unmask]    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~saad
>>> ----

____
Christian F. Beckmann
University Research Lecturer
Oxford University Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain (FMRIB)
John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK.
[log in to unmask]	http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~beckmann
tel: +44 1865 222551			fax: +44 1865 222717