On 02/04/07, Cinly Ooi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 02/04/07, Michael Hanke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > [replying to myself]
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 08:48:34PM +0200, Michael Hanke wrote:
> > > However, the Live-CD approach has one disadvantage compared to the
> > > virtualization: You cannot use Windows on that machine at the same
> > time
> > This is actually not true, as one can easily boot the Live-CD within the
> > virtualization environment. One could even boot it from within a
> > discimage for increased speed compared to running it from an optical
> > drive.

My problem with Live CD is that my institution does not support DHCP,
meaning everytime I boot the Live CD, I must reconfigure my network setting.
I can remaster the CD, but if I do so, I must as well install it as dual
boot, or install it as a VM.

With imaging data, there is no way the data is going to live on a memory
stick, although a USB harddisk is an option. I haven't tried it so I would
not know how much the slow access speed of USB is going to affect analysis
time.

My opinion is VM is more flexible. Having said that, the current trend of
thinking says that it is best to have VM concentrating on just one task. In
this discussion, we are of course talking about FSL. Hence, using the
flexibility to have the same VM to run SPM say, seems to be not taking full
advantage of VM compared to separate SPM/FSL VMs.

Live CD means user need not do anything except inserting CD into CD tray. VM
means user must learn how to use the VM hosting software. And this can
sometime make the difference. Self installing FSL in cygwin (not the
current  FSL XP installation instruction) will offer the most intuitive
installation route for users. For all, after installing, in all cases the
user uses GUI approach to start/run FSL so there is not going to be a
significant difference after installation. FSL startup is intuitive, even
from command line so I don't think there is much to choice here. Hence I
think the choice is that which is faster and have higher first-time success
rate.

Best case, I think, is to have Live CD that can be easily installed into
VMs. And for power user like me, an intuitive organization to allow me to
extract FSL from the CD image to run it on my host environment. The Ubuntu
"click through" approach will be the best. I don't like Knoppix way of
installing into HD/VMs. Too technical for average users we are targeting.

Best Regards,
Cinly