When Salieri realizes who the dirty minded fop he has been spying on really is in Amadeus

the recreation of the Spanish Inquisition in a gynecological operating room in Dead Ringers

Jeff Goldblum removing his teeth and eyebrows as he turns into The Fly

Holly Hunter throws herself into the ocean at the end of The Piano

and accidentally bares her breast while trying to extricate herself from the car wreck in Crash

Christian Bale working himself up into a murdurous frenzy by reviewing 80's pop albums in American Psycho

the discussion between Clerici and his old philosophy professor about Plato's Cave in The Conformist

and between fellow cab drivers Robert DeNiro and Peter Boyle on the street in in Taxi Driver

when (in reflection) Sterling Hayden walks into the ocean to his death in The Long Goodbye

and Warren Beatty dies in the snow at the end of McCabe and Mrs. Miller

and finally, David Hemmings' romp in the purple paper with the naked teeny boppers in Blow Up

I have grading to do!

"For beauty is the beginning of terror we are still able to bear, and why we love it so is because it so serenely disdains to destroy us"  Rilke's First Duino Elegy

Daniel Shaw
Professor of Philosophy and Film
Lock Haven University
Managing Editor, Film and Philosophy