I agree with Penny. My experience as a trainer in people's homes over the last seven years is that 3 hours has become about the right amount of time for a lot of people (it varies of course) if you pitch it right and the client is ready to learn.

Years ago it might have taken longer because the software was more (predictably) unpredictable and so for instance Dragon might take hours to get going. The bugs (in my opinion) in TextHelp had been slowly ironed out and it had reached a stage in version 7 / 7.x where it was stable (in my opinion). The newer version 8 / 8.1, which I understand was recoded from scratch (to be vista ready) does seem to me to have some issues again (in my opinion) and I feed them back to TextHelp / suppliers when I find them.

Shorter sessions are too short and run over because if you successfully engage the client they actively want to know more and they naturally start to have their own thoughts on what they want to do. By that I mean if you don't know what something does, you don't know what you want from it or what you can do with it. When people are empowered to learn then they can lead more in the training because they know their strengths and weaknesses and they go off in their own direction and the trainer can then follow more than guide in a supportive appropriate way - which I find works motivationally and practically.

I tell all my clients that they can ring me anytime or email if it is a ¨non-emergency¨. I get very few calls and when people do call they often solve their own perceived problems over the phone as I just listen. Just the knowledge that they can ring, I think, reassures them. Some clients I see over a matter or months or even years.

I think good trainers need to be far more involved with the system as they are out there, listening and experiencing the difficulties with students, and hopefully sorting them out. I have to do a lot of sorting out it seems and I do this for the individual student to help them. (not my job - but I do it anyway because I have the skills and knowledge and I care - and unpaid too) I haven't had enough time in the past to sort things out for students and then address what I see as systematic failures as well. I don't really have the time now but I am trying to open a dialogue about this and discuss it openly.

I hope that I haven't written anything unreasonable and if I have I apologise. These are just my views.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex Larg
07931 561 877 or 07916 175 077
Freelance Assistive Technology Trainer
Freelance study needs assessor
Former Disability Officer

> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:08:19 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: training
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Dear Clare,
>
> From experience, this does vary with the trainer and with the student.
>
> A 3-hour session is a fairly workable one in most cases. When students have asked for shorter periods, these have been arranged but it is rare that they actually keep to it when they see how they feel within the session.
>
> What is valuable, is an extension of the training over a few weeks. It is rare for students to have their training sessions grouped together within a few days. The continuity over a period, which includes telephone access to a trainer is particularly valuable, as it tends to support a 'steady approach' to the computer system. In this way, there are less likely to be panic actions that then produce what appear to be technical faults in the computer.
>
> Regards,
>
> Penny

With Live Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free!