Dear Alex et al,

  It's nice they treat us as professionals and use words such as 'recommend' and guidance'. Almost respectful really but of course there is a reason.

  It should be noted that the DfES can only offer 'guidance' to LAs. It is after all the students' money and in return for all of us getting paid from their money, we are obliged to operate within the parameters of the guidance offered by the DfES, that includes the funding bodies.

  The finest example of this in operation, in my opinion, is probably the Open University which operates as funding body, student services, and assessment centre, with these three areas working within the defined parameters towards a common aim of empowering the student.

alex larg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
                Pauline,

  You asked,

  what must be in an assessment etc?

  From the useful information Paul suggests http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsupport/dsa__1.shtml, one of the frequently asked questions is:-

  I am concerned by the report format that is suggested in the DfES Guidelines. It appears to require the provision of information that may not always be appropriate. Must my reports always contain all the information outlined?

  The report format offered is a guideline. To assist awards officers in local authorities it is required that the general format is adhered to. It is not envisaged that reports should be over long. Rather they should contain pertinent information including a clear explanation of test performance and the deductions derived from the assessment. A concluding summary will greatly assist local authority awards officers.

  From what Patrick says I would highlight the words – guidance and recommended.

    Alex

  Alex Larg
  07931 561 877 or 07916 175 077