Dear Colleagues,

apologies for cross posting this message...

I would like to apologise to Karen, Caroline and any other colleagues who may have found my messages offensive or inappropriate. They are not intended to be and my intention is purely to find out whether students are receiving the best possible service and are being given value for money and the excellence of service which they deserve and should be entitled to.

The feedback I receive from many students I work with, and I work with a lot of students, is that they often feel let down by the systems in place to help them. That's not to say that a lot of them aren't also grateful, thankful and appreciative - they are. My starting point was to ask for evidence from students and those who work with students, and take that forward to an appropriate authority. This seems to have been met by a combination of appreciation and praise off list, and sometimes animosity and discouragement on list from service providers, assessors and access centre managers.

I am not saying that my opinion is the only opinion and that I am right. I am just saying that I feel that there is room for improvement in any sector and that the way to achieve that improvement is through encouraging and gathering feedback, which is seriously considered and acted on and not just binned and dismissed as ill informed and just a few complaining students.  I believe I can, as any competent disability officer / practitioner should be able to, tell the difference between substance and distraction. I also find that the students who don't complain or make little or no noise at all are the ones often most in need of help.

I am copying this message to several  forums as I want my apology and my own opinion to be available to anyone who wants it, needs it, deserves it etc.

This is likely to be one of my last on-list postings for a while on this subject as I intend to take my concerns and evidence elsewhere. I am still very happy to receive on-list or off-list messages with comments, concerns and criticisms. I will also participate where appropriate in disussions where I feel I have something positive to contribute, as I feel and believe is the spirit of these lists.

I would also be happy on this occasion for this message to be forwarded to the ASASA list as I no longer have rights to post to that list unfortunately.

Thank you.

Alex

Alex Larg
07931 561 877 or  07916 175 077
Freelance Assistive Technology Trainer
Freelance study needs assessor
Former Disability Officer

MNADP

Try Live.com - your fast, personalised homepage with all the things you care about in one place. in one place.