-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roland Perry
Sent: 19 April 2007 21:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] When is spam not spam?

In message <[log in to unmask]>, at 17:29:53 on Thu, 19 Apr
2007, Nigel Roberts <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I have some doubt that the ICs view that this is a public network
>(don't get me wrong, it's nice to see the teapot is NOT made of
>chocolate after all!) is actually correct in law.

What no-one has yet explained (as a way of refuting my own view) is what the
ECS is that this alleged network might be delivering. Perhaps Renzo (in
Tim's blog) is hinting at this by failing to determine who the subscriber is
for this mythical ECS.

Let's look at this from another perspective. If the law had been drafted
differently (this is the EU law in the Directive, the UK regs are simply a
transposition) such that non-consensual radio broadcasts of textual adverts
were defined as spam, then what would be the position of adverts on Teletext
on TV - which fall just as much into the definition of "emails" as these
Bluetooth transmissions.
--
Roland Perry

       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user commands
can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm
 Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner
  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs