I’m curious why this (as yet unpublished) Encyclopedia (IEHG) has eclipsed
our longstanding journals as the primary target for the campaign against
DSEI. As Chatterton and Featherstone mention in their editorial, Elsevier
journals include Geoforum, Political Geography, Journal of Historical
Geography, World Development, Geographical Abstracts, Journal of Transport
Geography, Applied Geography etc.  But the signatories to the Newcastle
letter boycott the IEHG rather than the journals. They won’t use the IEHG in
teaching either but, once again, this doesn’t extend to the journals. I
don’t think I follow their distinction.

For my part, I thought the exchange in Political Geography was challenging
stuff. I did wonder, however, whether a boycott might expose the editors of
the IEHG (or, for that matter, its contributors) to some uncomfortable legal
liabilities. I’m sure there will be many people like me who have already
signed contracts – and in the case of the editors, this must have been a
long time ago. I doubt Reed-Elsevier will put a bounty on my head for
defaulting on my 4000 words, but the editors might not have it so easy.
Having agreed to write an entry, I think I have an ethical contract with the
editors to see it through, particularly in circumstances where a withdrawal
might leave them exposed to a breach of contract.

I guess the best scenario would be if the editors could negotiate their
‘release’, but I can't imagine Elsevier being agreeable to this.

Fraser

Fraser MacDonald
Academic Visitor (Feb-June 2007)
Institute of Geography
University of Edinburgh
Drummond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9XP
Scotland
P: +44 131 650 9508

Lecturer in Human Geography
School of Social and Environmental Enquiry
221 Bouverie Street
The University of Melbourne
VIC 3010
AUSTRALIA