Mischa,

Though the FX4500 is expensive, it is (unfortunately) the only option
for hardware stereo 3D.  And with that card, I can personally attest to
the fact that it is possible to have a 30" LCD and a ~22" stereo-capable
CRT running simultaneously off of a single Mac Pro system.

Thus, you can get the best of both worlds -- indeed, it is possible to
direct MacPyMOL to open up in stereo 3D mode on the second display while
still making simultaneous full use of the primary LCD for your other 2D
work.  Hopefully the same will prove true for Coot and O.  Fantastic!

Though I haven't had time yet to thoroughly benchmark the Octacore
(having just opened the box 24 hours ago), I have run some head-to-head
comparisons versus a dual-core 2 Ghz Opteron, and the initial results
were staggering:

PyMOL rendered a set of complex scenes nearly 7X faster on the Octacore
Xeon than the dual-core Opteron.  That is almost exactly what one would
expect from clockspeed alone: 8x3 = 24 gHz of Xeon versus 2x2 = 4 gHz of
Opteron.  Honestly, that seems too good to believe, and yet I have not
yet found a problem with those measurements.

Though I can't speak to the other packages, PyMOL already supports
multithreaded rendering and parallel geometry construction for
multistate objects (trajectories) and/or scenes with multiple
independent objects.  In other words, if you have the cores to space,
PyMOL can make use of them and will do so increasingly over the next
couple of years as we add more parallelism into the code.  For PyMOL
rendering, eight cores cuts your wait time nearly in half (relative to
four cores).

Cheers,
Warren