Edward A. Berry wrote:
> Kay Diederichs wrote:
>>
>> the CPU (AMD versus Intel) does not play any role for crystallographic
>> computing, but you'll have to decide whether you want to install the
>> 64bit or the 32bit version of RHEL4.
>> 32bit programs run a bit faster on a 64bit operating system, and with
>> a 64bit OS you can run programs which require arrays of more than 3.5
>> GB (seldomly needed in xtallography), but you will have to install in
>> parallel many 32- and 64bit libraries. This is no problem by itself,
>> but quite confusing at first ...
>> So I recommend the 32bit version.
>>

> Any reccommendation for compilers ( c and fortran)?
>
> Probably a dumb question, but is there any advantage in using the
> 64-bit-aware intel compilers on an AMD processor?
>
> Ed

Ed,

the Intel compilers work well and give good speed on AMD processors (32 or 64 bit).

Apart from the Gnu compilers, there is one alternative: Sun gives out its Sun
Studio compilers (version 11 at
http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/index.jsp, version 12 beta at
http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/express.jsp) for free - those work
(also) under Linux and are more optimized towards AMD processors than the Intel
compilers (understandably). I tested them with CNS and other programs and found
that, for AMD processors, they produce slightly faster code than the Intel
compilers. Furthermore they come with an IDE, and a bunch of analysis and
checking tools. Concerning OpenMP (which I'm particularly interested in), they
appear to be as good as the Intel compilers.

HTH,

Kay
--
Kay Diederichs                http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de
email: [log in to unmask]    Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183