Reminder - Computer Arts Society - public meeting
Wednesday 18 April, 6:30 for 7:00
PLACE: London Knowledge Lab, 23-29 Emerald St, London, WC1N 3QS
Travel information / Maps at:
http://www.lkl.ac.uk/cms/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=32

John Sharp

How Cybernetic Serendipity changed my life/career -
excursions in mathematics and computer art

I read chemistry at Oxford and spent some time in Industry,
mainly as an analytical chemist, but soon after I left University
I went to the Cybernetic Serendipity exhibition at the ICA which
changed what I felt I wanted to do. I had been using conventional
media to produce similar work based on mathematics (mostly
geometry) and would have really liked to move onto computers, but
it was another 10 years with the Apple II before I was able to
fulfil that dream. Previously the only contact I had had with
computer art was as member 142 of the Computer Arts Society.

In learning computing from that point, I changed careers mostly
writing computer documentation, initially setting up the document
department at Epson UK. I also taught geometry and art part time.
Since the CAS in its first life folded, apart from students, my
main contact with other artists working in a similar area was
sporadic until I became part of the Bridges Conferences on
Mathematical Connections in Art Science and Music. In 2006 I was
instrumental in bringing it to London and was one of the major
organisers.

Through Bridges and the Internet I have worked with many other
artists and this talk is the about the wide range of work I have
produced using the computer both two and three dimensional,
including the paper sculpture I am most widely known for:
Sliceforms and how I have worked with other mathematical artists
at Bridges.

http://www.bridgesmathart.org
http://www.lkl.ac.uk/cms/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=48

====
Paul Brown - based in the UK March-July 2007
mailto:[log in to unmask] == http://www.paul-brown.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228 == USA fax +1 309 216 9900
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html