JANE ROBERTSON HAS SENT THIS RESPONSE WHICH I THOUGHT MIGHT INTEREST OTHERS. TOM.

Dear Tom

Thanks for your message. I didn’t attend the Edinburgh workshop/seminar but the responses I read via email did seem antagonistic towards the method. I noticed this same attitude at an earlier event run for the Northern Narratives group, although someone who had used the BNIM method in her PhD (I’ve forgotten her name but she had trained with you) argued against the positivist perception of the approach.

Thanks for the comments, as no doubt there will be plenty of discussion at the meeting and these points will be helpful in accurately representing the potential of the method as one way of doing narrative analysis and countering particular assumptions. I’ve found the free associative aspect of the BNIM interview method very helpful for my own research, but I agree that some people get “hung-up” about the psychoanalytic connotations that are linked with free-association and a concern with gestalt, which brings another set of (often negative) assumptions to the debate.

I’ve found a linguistic approach to analysis very helpful in my own research on the basis of what seems to “work” with the data from my interviews, at least the data with participants with dementia, which weren’t really “interviews” in the formal sense but conversations and opportunities for listening that I had with people with dementia. My own assumptions and position have obviously influenced my attraction to this approach, which I will need to reflect on in my methodological discussion. As you say, the mind of the interpreter is quite distinct from any method, and each individual uses and interprets a method slightly differently.

For instance, Gee tends to present his analysis as paired stanzas within a longer strophe. I am finding that – from my detailed analysis of one interview at this stage – that Labov’s six-part framework is helpful when applied to the analysis after listening to how the words are spoken using Gee’s method. This analysis ties in with a strophe of five or six stanzas (with each stanza of several lines representing abstract, orientation, complicating action, evaluation, resolution and coda). I hadn’t expected to find this framework as I had started with trying to apply Labov’s framework to the text, found this unhelpful, applied Gee’s analysis to break the text into lines, stanzas and strophes, and from this process then noticed that the individual stanza topics flowed along the framework that Labov suggested. The resulting “poetry” ties into some other work in the field of dementia research, Killick and Allan, although these researchers created poems in terms of how they understood what was “going on” for the person with dementia, rather than working with the actual words of the person.

At the moment I’m considering how to strategically work with the data to carry out detailed analysis on some cases / interviews and how to work on a more general analytical level across the fifty interviews that I have carried out.

Best wishes

Jane