Is anyone aware of cases where NHS physiotherapists work with private gym instructors in post op. rehabilitation? My father has now had a hip replacement (in the UK) and sent home 4 days post op. with a small booklet of exercises and a six week assessment appointment. An acquaintance in Belgium keeps his patients in hospital for 2-3 weeks of physiotherapy.

Since my fathers PCT doesn’t fund home visits for post hip op. patients, he would be prepared to pay to join a gym to gain training feedback. It seems a logical step to transfer some information from his rehabilitation program to a gym program. If NHS funds don’t increase for physio. home visits, would this half-way arrangement be detrimental to the quality of patient care? How has this debate developed? What successes / problems have arisen?

Regards

Graham

Graham Webb BEng(Hons) MIEEE AMIPEM

Trainee Clinical Scientist

Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering

St George's Healthcare NHS Trust

LONDON

SW17 0QT

Tel: 07796 866012