Dear all,
I did intend to digest the discussion lists more frequently and will endeavour to do so more in future. In the meantime, here is a very long summary of some of the March messages that might be of interest to Arlis/UK & Ireland members.

The usual *** apologies for cross-posting***.

Best wishes,
Erica Foden-Lenahan

Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:18:07 -0500
"Ceci Moss" [log in to unmask]
[ARLIS-L] Rhizome Metadata Project Launch Top of Form

Dear ARLIS,
 Folksonomy and metadata projects have come up again and again as topics on the ARLIS listserv. For those of you interested in this discussion, I am excited to announce the introduction of folksonomy into Rhizome’s digital art archive, the ArtBase.

In the past, all the works within the ArtBase were organized by a controlled vocabulary produced when the archive was founded. Last month, we introduced a hybrid model of controlled vocabulary and folksonomy to categorize the works. When artists submit works to the ArtBase, they choose from our vocabulary and add their terms. As artist-generated terms gain momentum and popularity, we will add them to the Rhizome Vocabulary. We have yet to determine the exact process for adding these terms, as we'd like to see how the new two-tiered system plays out.

There is now a tag cloud of the ArtBase which presents the most active terms across these two fields. Please take a look:
http://rhizome.org/art/

To read more about the vocabulary used in Rhizome’s metadata, please visit:
http://rhizome.org/art/rhizome_vocabulary.php

We are planning a future metadata upgrade to the Textbase as well.

For those of you unfamiliar with the organization, Rhizome is a non profit organization which supports the creation, presentation, discussion and preservation of contemporary art that engages technology in significant ways. Rhizome’s programs include an annual cycle of commissions, online publications and discussion, education, exhibitions and preservation. Our website also serves as a rich resources for all those interested in the field with two comprehensive archives, one of digital art, the other of new media art-related writing, and calendar, jobs and opportunities listings. Rhizome is a membership organization and we offer individual and organizational memberships with a full range of web-based services.

Best,
Ceci Moss
Sales Associate, Rhizome
T: 212-219-1222 ext. 211