Posted on behalf of a colleague:-

Hi Mandy,

If the frame is not particularly important to the collection, it is
more practical to remove and discard it. If the frame is important to
the collection, you will have to make sure that it is conservationally
sound. If the answer to this is 'no' then you have two options, 1)
make it conservationally sound or 2) remove the frame and store it
separately.

You have to bear in mind that in order for a frame to be archivally
safe for photographs, it has to be 'silver- safe', which is a higher
specification than that required for prints and illustrations.
Generally, frames are not silver-safe, and the best option for the
longevity of the photograph therefore, is to bin the frame.

Unless of course, if you are a 'Greenery-yallery Grosvenor Gallery
type of conservator', in which case "it doesn't matter how important
the frame is... it is part of the photograph's 'nature' and must be
kept, regardless of expense."

Regards

Jonathan Farley
Senior Conservator