* I wonder if fascism is given as a possibly subject for experimentation because there is some subconscious admiration for that cause?

Another way to consider this question of dialectics would be around the question of abjection.  Clearly, if one already feels a conscious inclination toward fascism, the sincere adoption of a fascist world-view won't enact any profound de-conditioning. If in fact one finds it repugnant ( another mode of desire to be sure) than an engagement that seeks to find the truth or genius of the perspective might well be productive. Any sincere engagement with abjected material is potentially productive.  In terms of Crowley, I immediately think of the squalor of the Abbey--an engagement with a basic form of the abject--filth.

As to playing at fascism, one need look no further than the west coast post-punk demi-monde of the 1980's, a'la Exit and ReSearch magazines,Feral House Press, Boyd Rice aka NON etc.  Clearly the engagement exhibited by this group is as much about an interrogation of fascism as it is an embrace.

mark harrison