There is some low-level murmuring about this here at BU, but it is hardly the top priority.

You're quite right that money does exist, because there is interest, and one of my many projects next fall is to have long conversations with the development and grant people about how to get some. In the US, the big issue to my mind is really about getting funding for graduate students, not research funds as such. As things stand right now, if I could take one PhD student per year, fully funded with a reasonable stipend, to do magic and occultism and so on, I could more or less have whoever I wanted since there are so few other options. But since we don't have that kind of money, and what money we do have doesn't particularly reside with me, I am skeptical as to whether someone in this field would get much if anything unless he or she were drop-dead outstanding in every way.

If anyone has clever ideas about where to get outside funding in this field, please do let me know!

Chris Lehrich

Damien wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Has there been any push by those of us within departments, or with
friends with tenure in the pertinent departments to build such a
cirriculum?

Interest is there, which means money is there. I believe that one need
only do a little research to find that there is Scholarly Work being
done on the subject, across the Europe, the UK, and even the US.

I know it may be a bit of a tacky question to ask, but Does anyone
here know anyone with tenure, at their respective universities, who
would be open to the idea of expanding their programs, in that way?

-Damien
--- David Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have no problems with the Exeter MA (though I can see where Chris
is
coming from with his comments). I think that what this exchange
demonstrates is that whilst there are a number of suitable PhD
supervisors in the general area, that there is a dearth of Masters
level
courses with a broad focus on magic. This was brought home just this
afternoon by a student of mine asking if there was a suitable taught
Masters where she could explore contemporary magic and
neo-shamanism.

Dave