Hi everyone,

I think that it's no easy thing to do what Laura is talking about, but I do
have an example to share.  I've attached a piece by Nancy Adler (whom I have
convinced to let me share this with the list) which I think walks this path
in a beautiful way.  (My apologies to Ken and others who get the digest form
where attachments get all messed up.)

When I think about how Nancy manages to do this, my theory is that she has
learned to let her artistic sensibilities guide her as she lets what she has
in her to share pour forth.  I also see that there is a mastery of technique
in this article, that I also see when she presents, and in her paintings,
that is clear when I look for it, but doesn't get in the way.  I think many
academic pieces are about showing some mastery of the technique without any
sense of the artistic sensibilities.  And for me, technique should always be
subordinate to artistic sensibilities, except perhaps when you are first
doing exercises to learn technique.  For this to work you have to master the
technique and internalize it so that you can get past it.  It feels to me
like she has done this with this article and it offers us some sense of what
the academy might look like if it were (much) more aestheticized (to respond
to Daved's query)

- Steve

Steven S. Taylor, PhD
Assistant Professor