I hope the snow is beautiful, Steve.

The triple bottom line is a warm thought for a cold day. But why should we have to leap over a higher bar than anyone else? If the standard applies, it should apply to all. On the other hand, maybe it already does. Could the problem be that those in power positions (editors of A journals, for example) have a different aesthetic than the one(s) we fancy? Or to put it another way, do we only get published when an editor's aesthetics resonates with our own? Do we need to confront the problem of some editors applying aesthetic judgments (what other kind is there) that render our work 'ugly' and inadmissible but only acknowledge their use of aesthetic criteria when they want to hoist us on our own petard? If this is the case, then we share a challenge that artists have faced for ions, changing the criteria for what is beautiful. Does anything change if we frame the matter in this way?

Maybe what I wish for is a future when everyone declares what they find to be beautiful. That way at least we can begin to sense what sort of aesthetics inspire the editors of our journals and know better what we must overcome to get published. When I was a doctoral candidate we used to feed off the piles of papers the faculty “suggested” we read. I think that established my first academic aesthetic, of course it was strictly in terms that were acceptable at my school, but never prevented me from taking off in my own direction as soon as I learned to use the library. Still, having this sense of what was valued as beautiful helped me craft a dissertation that passed muster and gave me access to others’ realities in way that helped me create my own. I truly wonder whether, if editors posted their list of most beautiful examples of scholarship, it might improve more than the ability of researchers to find proper outlets for their work.

Mary Jo Hatch

C. Coleman McGehee Eminent Scholars Research Professor of Banking and Commerce

McIntire School of Commerce

Monroe Hall

University of Virginia

P.O. Box 400173