I hope that you are right, Daved, that in ten years organizational
aesthetics will have the same legitimacy that qualitative research has
achieved.  I say legitimacy because it feels like I have to fight for the
legitimacy of  approaching something from an arts based perspective every
time I write for an MOS journal.

I also have the same experience when I try to write about action research.
And I realize that there was a time when action research had moved pretty
far up the legitimacy curve in MOS (there were centers of action research at
prestigious universities such as MIT's Sloan school), but it somehow failed
to make it.  So I have a cautionary tale in my head as well.

And to add to Mike's idea, I think that beauty is one way to legitimacy.
Beautiful writing, beautiful research, or at least artful writing and
research is much harder to ignore and leave in the dustbin of academic
history - whether that research is science based or art based.

Anyway, just my thoughts on this fine April morning (it is still below
freezing here in New England).

- Steve

On 4/8/07 6:51 AM, "Daved Barry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I didn't mean that aacorn is being scientized. Actually, I meant the
> opposite, that we're beginning to find arts-based standards for making and
> judging work that are just as rigorous, important, contributive, etc., as
> the hard science standards that have been used in MOS (mgmt. and org
> studies) for the last century. Things like what you're mentioning here
> (creative use of constraints) and like what Steve Carroll mentioned last
> time (e.g., noticing the unnoticed). It's kind of like what happened when
> Yvonna Lincoln and Egon Guba wrote "Naturalistic Inquiry"--where they
> developed a set of counter standards for social research.

Steven S. Taylor, PhD
Assistant Professor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department of Management