>From: "Patrick Holford" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ESSENTIAL FAT SUPPLEMENTS WORK FOR ADHD, SAYS NEW TRIAL
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:52:50 +0100
>
>ESSENTIAL FAT SUPPLEMENTS WORK FOR ADHD, SAYS NEW TRIAL
>

>A new double blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial published today in
>The Journal of Developmental and Behavioural Pediatrics confirms that
>children taking a combination of omega-3 fish oil and omega-6 evening
>primrose oil for 15 or 30 weeks, versus placebo, have major improvements in
>ADHD symptoms, as measured on the Conner's scale, (which is what was
>measured in the Food for the Brain Cricket Green project.)      Children
>were given either essential fats (  Eye Q  ) or placebo for 15 weeks, then
>essential fats. Those on the essential fats improved during the first 15
>weeks, and further improved during the next 15 weeks, so the maximum
>benefit was not seen within 15 weeks. Almost half (40-50%) of the children
>taking the essential fats for the entire study saw significant reductions
>in ADHD symptoms according to their parents in inattention, hyperactivity
>and impulsivity.    For the first 15 weeks, the researchers divided the
>children into three groups. One group took   eye qT,   the second group
>took   eye qT   and a low dose multi-vitamin/mineral supplement while the
>third group took placebo capsules. After 15 weeks all participating
>children were given   eye qT   and the multivitamin. The addition of the
>low does multivitamin made no additional significant difference to the
>results.    However, the treatment effects of those taking omega-3 and
>omega-6 with a multivitamin were comparable with average treatment effects
>of stimulant medication trials, based on parent ratings of behaviour. Dr
>Natalie Sinn who conducted the study said: "The results support those of
>other studies that have found improvements in developmental problems
>symptomatic of ADHD with PUFA supplementation and show promise therefore
>for some children as a treatment adjunct. Importantly, core symptoms of
>hyperactivity, impulsivity and inattention improved on average from the
>upper clinical range on Conners' ADHD Index to mildly clinical after 30
>weeks of supplementation. Although they [multivitamins] were set at
>recommended daily doses for children, it is possible that greater
>quantities were required."    The beneficial effects of multivitamins in
>previous trials have generally been measured on non-verbal IQ, which wasn't
>assessed during this trial. Also, some of the most positive improvements
>have been reported in longer trials which used levels of nutrients above
>RDA. Multivitamins have also been shown to help a subset of children with
>the most deficient diets, not all children.    If your child does show
>signs of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity this study provides
> [...]

https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: