Thank you all for your suggestions.

Gerard - MAVE worked nicely ... once I remembered how to get data blocks
out of O.

A summary for the future:

I wanted to superimpose electron density maps from two crystal forms of
a protein; the apo protein (P43212) and a crystal into which substrate
was soaked (P41212). Then I wanted to subtract the apo map from the
ligand map, hoping to see density for the ligand. I went about this
process as follows:

1) Working with the coordinates in O, I transformed the apo form onto
the substrate-containing form and wrote out the transformation matrix.

2) Using MAVE, I "EZ Skewed" the apo map onto the substrate-containing
map with the transformation matrix from O.

3) I wrote the map out in P1 with a cubic unit cell

4) In order to put the substrate-containing map into a similar cell, I
then repeated the process with the substrate-containing form,
"transforming" with the idenity matrix (there's probably an easier way
to do this).

5) Using mapman, I subtracted the apo map from the substrate-containing
map.

The resulting map was good for seeing conformational changes that
apparently coincide with substrate soaking however it doesn't look like
my substrate (or reaction product) is bound in this case : ( I suspected
this would be the case. Off to my other data sets!

Thanks again for all you help!
Andrew Robinson