o peter - the shipping news - what a waste of time that book is - all lanky
and all the men have gone to sea and i am lonely!!!!!!!!

----Original Message Follows----
From: Peter Cudmore <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Abrupt Snap - What is the saddest book ever written?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:16:24 +0100

Well, I was thinking about the saddest thing I read in a while and I thought
of the passages in _Satanic Verses_ that deal with two cancer patients. Then
I thought, no, wait, that book also had me roaring with laughter...  Not
necessarily a book to be seen with in a hospital, mind you.

Another very funny one is _The Third Policeman_ of Flann O'Brien. There
aren't many laughs, on the other hand, in _The Shipping News_ of Annie
Proulx -- but it's moving and cathartic.

Advertisement: Its simple! Sell your car for just $30 at carsales.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801577%2Fpi%5F1005244%2Fai%5F838588&_t=754951090&_r=tig&_m=EXT