From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nellie Phoca-Cosmetatou
Sent: 23 March 2007 15:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Carstic bone taphonomy- cont.

Dear All,

As a follow up to my email of last week, I've posted 3 photos of bones from a (predominantly) Neolithic site in Greece on the BoneCommons website.

http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/icaz/icazForum/viewtopic.php?p=941#941

They come from two contexts (a cave and a settlement) but the contexts had been mixed together in the same bags, so we don't know which is which... As the bed rock of the whole area is soft limestone, we have been wondering what are the different taphonomic processes that might have caused this differing preservation, and whether we can identify (probably chemically) the provenance of the bones from each of the two contexts.

Any thoughts on the matter would be very welcome! And many thanks to all of you who have already offered advice and suggestions.

Many thanks,

Nellie