Alan Buxey wrote:
> incidentally this is another reason to deprecate the JRS Tier1. Terena have got
> oct 2007 as the deprecation date - and australia never even got that far
> (with WPA/TKIP the mandatory starting level)

Ahh, thanks for that info...

So my vote would be for setting the same date of October 1st 2007 to
disable PAP proxying at the UK NRPS. Perhaps this could be one of the
topics at the Networkshop BOF(s)?

It represents a nice point in the academic year, and is a full six
months away, for those sites still running WRD (which was deprecated in
JRS as of January 2006, AFAICT).

> however, as with such technology and methods I'm certain that if there
> wasnt a lower 'technology entrance cost' a couple of years back then
> the whole system wouldnt have taken off. thoughts?

Yes, I think you're absolutely right, although by continuing to support
Tier1 we are  nowadays erring on the other side of having "undesirable"
authentication systems. For instance the whole Shibboleth thing centres
around only authenticating securely and directly with one's home
institution.

regards,
oliver.
--
Oliver Gorwits, Network Infrastructure Group,
Oxford University Computing Services